Friday, July 20, 2012

Kondo Farm's Stand at Furari!

After a long hiatus, Sugar and I decided to restart our weekly lunches. Hooray!

There is a book (pamphlet? I don't know what to call it) I got during my first week at city hall called "Minamiboso Kuitabi".  Kuitabi basically means "eating trip".  It's a beautiful, full color book that introduces local restaurants and their recommended dishes.  So, essentially, I have been drooling over Kondo Farm's panini for 11 months.

Luckily for Sugar and I, they have a little stand at the michi-no-eki (roadside station) in Tomiyama, Furari.  There is also a really huge farmer's stand on the first floor of Furari with fresh local veggies and fruits, live fish, prepared foods and sauces, sweets, and flowers!  The second floor has a bunch of restaurants so if you're ever in the area it's a great place to stop.  You don't even have to get off the highway!

I've been to Kondo Farm's stand 3 times before I they were always sold out.  I decided that if they were sold out again this time that fate was against me and I should just give up. Luckily, fate was on my side!

We ordered panini lunch sets. First they bring out a salad and a drink while they make the paninis. 

This may be the best mozzarella cheese I've ever had.  It's soft but firm, almost meaty.  The dressing on this salad was a simple splash of vinegar drizzled with olive oil and a touch of herbs, and sea salt. Simple is best!  It's quite good.


In comes the panini!  Oddly, the first thing I noticed is this bread.  It has an almost buttery taste.  Inside there is cheese, lettuce, tomato, and....

BACON!  ...or ham?  I dunno but it's  delicious. To be perfectly frank, I don't love the way lettuce gets soggy when it's warmed up, but I think next time I will just ask for no lettuce.  The sandwich is huge, though.  Eat it while you're there because it's just not the same once it cools down.


...and there you have it!  I'm sorry for taken pictures of a half-eaten sandwich, but I was so excited to eat this I bit into it before I remembered to take a picture.  Anyway, if you love good, fresh cheese Kondo Farm's stand is worth a try!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment