Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Hina no Sato 道の駅 in Miyoshi is full of delicious goodness!

Driving around the ‘Boso the other day, I decided to stop by Miyoshi’s michi-no-eki (it’s like a super rest-stop with souvenirs, food, and local products), Hina no Sato

Why?

It's limited edition!  You can only get it this month!

…because they have LIMITED EDITION MANGO-YOGURT ICE CREAM.  ‘Nuff said.

So I rolled up to the front of the café and said “Hey woman!  Get me some ice cream NOW!” But it might have sounded more like, “One mango-yogurt ice cream, please.”  I also picked up this salad dressing produced by Opa Café.  They had it in the refrigerator case with the locally produced dairy products.  This stuff is DELICIOUS, I buy it every time I see it because it tastes great on salads that have Japanese ingredients like daikon.  (I mean, who puts ranch dressing on daikon, really?)

the front of the ice cream and coffee cafe

Back to the mango-yogurt ice cream:  it BLEW MY MIND.  I hate artificial mango tastes, but this was the natural taste of mango with a little bit of pulp left in the ice cream. The locally-made yogurt had just the right level of sour and sweet tastes to accent the mango.  The harmony of favors was perfect!  The only thing I can say was that I felt the waffle cone was a bit too sweet, that it was getting in the way of me and frozen yogurt’s sordid love affair. 邪魔者!  

happiness
(...until now that I have realized how huge my forehead is.  don't look directly at it, as you may be blinded by the glare)

this month's schedule for cooking classes

I really liked the laid back atmosphere of Hina-no-Sato, though.  The lamps looked like something that should be in a dorm in Harry Potter.  Plus, they have cooking classes there in the “open kitchen”.  How cute is that?

the open kitchen

the restaurant next to the cafe

I also took a look around the sales floor and I was psyched to find a case full of local beer!  You can’t get this stuff at just any supermarket, so I made a mental note.  Next to it was something I’d never seen before: local yogurt sake!  The bottle design is really nice, it looks like something you’d see at a fancy bar or something.  I’m dying to try it, and would’ve bought a bottle, but it has to be refrigerated, and I still had miles to go before I sleep went home.

Awa Beer!
yogurt sake!  drool

Next to Hina-no-Sato is a shop that sells local produce.  This stuff is CHEAP.  I didn’t even need groceries, but the veggies there were so stupid-cheap that I couldn’t help myself. I bought red bell peppers and mini tomatoes, which are both nearly impossible to find for 100 yen anywhere else.  They also sold fruit, meat, fish, honey, and flowers.  It was a bargain shopper’s playground.  “Mark my words, I will return!” I said, turning back from the exit and shaking my fist.  

(I am so lucky most people don’t understand what I’m saying in English most of the time.  I think I might be committed.)

the sales floor

giant green eggplants!  4 in a pack at this price?!?!

these went home with me...

Before hitting the road, I stopped by the bathroom, and was so pleasantly surprised by how clean and pretty it was I decided to take a picture.  They even had a tiny toilet in the front for little kids, so the kid can have privacy but the mom can watch them from over the top.  Man, they thought of it all.  


the ladies' restroom was pretty~

I noticed a sign on the way out saying that if anyone finds a 4 or 5 leaf clover on the grounds they win a special prize.  Way to occupy the kids, and for free at that!

Unfortunately, I had already eaten lunch, or I would have stopped at the infamous Bingo Burger, a yummy burger stand also on the grounds of Hina-no-Sato.  Yet another reason to go back! 

I can’t wait for my next visit…

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment