Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My favorite writer, Haruki Murakami, writes about my town!

There is a short story on The New Yorker website now called "Town of Cats", written by my favorite writer of all time, Haruki Murakami.  Oddly enough, I saw it on the New Yorker website's most popular list.  Imagine my surprise when, in the first page, the main character is buying a train ticket to Chikura in Minamiboso to hit the beach!  Smart man...

(Well, it's actually to visit his mentally-ill, slightly emotionally abusive father, but, who needs details.) 

I haven't finished the story yet, but I have high hopes!  Check it out here: http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2011/09/05/110905fi_fiction_murakami

The Japanese name for the story is 猫の町.

Apparently, Chikura is also a setting in his current his (in Japan, it hasn't yet been translated into English) 1Q84.

I am currently welling up with pride.  Chikura is on the MAP!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this! I also really enjoy Murakami Haruki. The story was great and left me thinking. And it's extra amusing to know that he wrote about the Boso!

    ReplyDelete