Friday, October 28, 2011

Healthy Food Can Be Tasty, Too: Sora in Miyoshi

It was Wednesday, and that meant it was time to check out a new restaurant.  For about a month we've been trying to head over to Chikura for pizza, but alas fate is against us, because the shop was randomly closed this week, too.

So, Sugar threw out the suggestion to hit a cafe famous their coffee, and off we went.  It turns out it was in Miyoshi.  I swear this was not on purpose.





another restaurant you'd never find if you weren't looking for it 
The interior was bright and clean.  These chairs were actually made of some very large tree.  There are flowers, photos, and little nicknacks all over the place.  Around the far wall are 3 fish tanks containing the cutest goldfish I've ever seen.  They look like big orange bubbles - their bodies are really round and puffy and they have long, thin translucent fins that look like silk.  I want some!

They had a one-coin (500yen) lunch menu with fried rice, curry, noodles, and a couple of other things that looked yummy.  Sugar and I both ordered the original curry.


The menu boasted a 3:1(?)  ratio of vegetables to meat.  They simmer everything down and make a curry without using any added water, just the water from the veggies.  It seems to me that they might put it through a food processer, so the texture is like a very hearty meat sauce.

I am sold.

It's not one of those dishes that smacks you in the face with greatness with the first bite.  It's one of those dishes that, somehow, once you start eating, you don't want to stop.  I CLEANED that place.  I wish I had sprung for the full-size curry, but I'm not sure even that would be enough.   It's a very light tasting curry with almost no lingering aftertaste.  It comes, it's delicious, and then it's gone, leaving you wanting more.  If I could cook this, I'd probably make it every week. 

We decided to use the money (and calories) we saved on the one-coin lunch to buy a dessert set!  Choose one dessert and coffee or tea for 600 yen.  Since this place is big on coffee, we both chose that.  I had the molten chocolate cake.

The outside was moist but solid (I hate when these cakes fall apart)  and the inside was the texture of brownie batter. The cake was made of a slightly bitter chocolate, and therefore just sweet enough for adults, but the ice cream was rich and sweet so the two balanced each other well.

Sugar got the yogurt cheesecake.  I only had a bite, but you can taste a nice bit of acidity from the yogurt, and the cake was fluffy but moist, like a cross between a "baked cheesecake" and a "rare cheesecake".  It seemed like the kind of cheesecake that won't make you feel sick from one slice (which happens to me often because I don't do well with heavy, rich sweets).

We noticed a poster on the window saying that they offer classes at this restaurant.  For only 1500 yen, you can take a class on making easy, healthy cakes, cookies, breads, etc.  It includes the class materials, recipe, a drink, and a small gift.  What a steal, and what a fun way to spend the evening! I'm definitely calling the girls on this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment