Thursday, November 24, 2011

Mike's Visit! Second Stop: The Reclining Buddha and Jorakuzan Mantoku Temple

Next, we went to go see a giant reclining buddha statue. I had seen the SUPER RIDICULOUSLY big one in Thailand, but I was surprised to know that there was a similar statue in my own backyard.

Still, I wasn't really sure where it was, but I took Mike's visit as an opportunity to look it up!

I'm not really sure how you're supposed to pray, but the monk at the entrance told us there were incense sticks and lighters so we gave it a try!




Even Buddha needs his rest...


You definitely can't get this close to the one in Thailand!  You could practically climb on it (but there's clearly a sign that says not to do that.)


On our way out, the monk offered us warm tea and snacks, which we accepted gladly and ate on the patio that overlooks the area  (the buddha is on a hill).

Here are some views from the patio:




If it weren't so cloudy I'm sure the view would've been even better.  I definitely recommend this spot on any sightseeing tour of the area.  On the the next spot!

Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment